Saturday, April 3, 2010

Zinnias - The Perfect Garden Flower

The ordinary zinnia is a wonderful choice for the everyday gardener. It comes in a wide variety of colors, is lovely in the garden and makes a great cutting flower to bring inside. My mother grew zinnias in our garden when I was a child and when she retired to Georgia, she grew them there, too. Zinnias were a favorite of hers because she loved to have fresh cut flowers all around the house and what better way than to cut them from one's own garden.


On this Easter Eve, I am thinking of my mother and how she always fixed a beautiful Easter Basket for me, full of little candies and small, thoughtful toys, as a surprise on Easter morning. One day, when I was a teenager, I woke up on Easter morn and there was no Easter Basket! I was so disappointed. When I asked my mother about it, she said that she thought I was too old for an Easter Basket, had outgrown that sort of thing. I objected to the notion that one could ever outgrow an Easter Basket. And the next year, there it was, waiting for me to discover all its pleasures. Of course, we all looked forward to Easter Sunrise Service at our little, quaint, white-washed church, overlooking the ocean, with the sun coming up on the horizon. As I am writing this post, the sun is departing for the day. And, here is a look at the sunset on the Pacific Ocean. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment