Thursday, April 1, 2010

Wonderful Wisteria


Wonderful, Fragrant Wisteria

Wisteria is blooming all over Houston and it's fragrance is in the air! I happened to be surprised by a sudden recognition that many of the flowers I have posted are varying shades of purple. This marvelous vine is a wonder to behold. Each blossom is perfectly formed and shaped to make the whole of what we call a wisteria blossom. Wherever you may live, I hope you get to enjoy wisteria at least some time in your life.

How can a plant be native to America and to China and other Asian nations at the same time? That is a mystery to me. The odd fact is, many of the plants that thrive in Houston are native to China or Japan. I wonder how that could be and then I examine the latitude of Houston, draw my finger across the globe and there the latitude bisects China. How amazing!




Many years ago when I lived in Tucson, a woman at the end of my street cultivated a large wisteria vine on her weathered, wooden fence. I would go out of my way to pass by it, to take in its beauty and perfume. It isn't a stretch to learn that this vine is a relative of the pea. The blossoms are quite similar to sweet pea.


No comments:

Post a Comment