Saturday, March 27, 2010

Ramblin' Rose

Yesterday I went out walking in the neighborhood with my camera. I happened upon this one lonely rose bloom. Isn't it a beauty? We don't see many roses in Houston, or at least in my neighborhood. Perhaps they don't grow as well here as some other types of flowers. I'm sure you remember what Shakepeare said about roses: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Always a fresh turn of the phrase with The Bard. There was a movie by the title, "Rambling Rose," starring Laura Dern and Robert Duval, a somewhat sterotypical movie about Southern characters, typical Hollywood styling. Laura's real mother, Diane Ladd, played the part of her mother. Both were nominated for Oscars. And then there was the classic Nat King Cole song, "Rambling Rose." "...Ramblin' rose, ramblin' rose, why you ramble, no one knows. Wild and wind blown, that's how you've grown.
who can cling to, a ramblin rose?..."

No comments:

Post a Comment